Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tonight history is turning a page here. A fire broke out about 4:30 this afternoon in a building formerly known as Fraser's Tavern. In this building, that was built in the early 1750's, was born the first white child in Bedford County, William Fraser. The fire has now been burning for more than five hours. A business is gone, a family has lost their home, firefighters are nearing exhaustion in freezing weather. At this point, the only hope is that the nearby buildings can be saved from the fire and that no one is seriously injured. A sad night, indeed.

No comments: