Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A blue lining

The lining in my Landscape bag is complete. It was a several night project, but I've learned over the years it's better to not rush these things. I used some plastic canvas on the front, back and base. It was lightly sewn to the inside of the bag, and then the lining was sewn in. Best thing is the magnet clasp is attached through the plastic canvas and it creates a nice firm place for the clasp to be attached. Now that I've been successful with my lining, I might try it again!

It's a good way to keep cool in this 90 degree weather.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Saturday Projects

First we have the refelting of the French Market bag. It seems to be going well. I have the bag drying over a bag o'DVD's. It will wind up being deeper. I'm happier about it.

Then I've been working on the lining for the Landscape bag. I want to enter it into the local county fair and I think it should be lined. I found some great lining guidlines/directions at Noni Felted Bags. Some pretty creative bags, too!

My lining is some 100% cotton (left over from my quilting days) I used some iron on lining for some added body. Made some pockets for the inside. And folded over the corners of the bottom to square it off. I'm going to pick up some plastic canvas at Wally World this afternoon for some more body, add a magnetic closure on the inside and stitch to top edge in place. Hopefully tomorrow you'll get to see a finished picture.

But for now, we're off furniture shopping. The recliners in the living room are absolutely shot and leaning to the left.

Friday, July 06, 2007


Well, I'm still contemplating my French Market bag. I really do like the color. As a matter of fact, I'd love to have a coat make out of this felted material in this color. (Boy that would really use up the yarn to cover my butt!!!) Anyhow, I am disappointed in the size. But, not to worry. First, I'm going to make the bag wet and refelt by using DVDs. And I have an ancient bag of buttons that at one time I was going to sew onto a quilt.

Many years ago, after the Oklahoma City bombing, my friend over at A New Day, and I made small angel quilts that were presented to the families of those who's loved ones died that day. I've always felt honored that our two quilts were given to the lady who lost both of her sons that day in the daycare. The quilts were rustic, county-style with an angel pattern and sewn with much love. I bought the buttons for on that quilt, but they never got sewn on -- I thought it might be a little over the top. So, the bag of buttons was never opened. Until now -- I'm going to sew them on the outside of my French Market bag.

The other bit of info for today is how I repaired the wavy top edge of my other felted bag. I used doubled quilting thread and ran a running stitch along the top of my bag, drew in the bag a bit to make it not wavy and then refelted it. Much better.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

French Market Bag

The knitting is done. It only took a couple episodes of "Deadliest Catch", "Ice Road Truckers" and a viewing of "The Queen" and viola, we have an unfelted French Market Bag. Here's another view where you can really see the handles. The yarn came from Elann and it's the Peruvian Highlands Wool.
And now, here's the felted version. The color in the photo is just about true. I blocked it with a round wooden bucket. Just couldn't find something square that was the right size. However, after doing a Google search of the French Market Bag, I think next try I'll use some DVD's.
My complaint is the finished size. I've placed a pair of my reading glasses in front so you can get an idea as to scale. I did run it through the washer twice for felting and I think once would have done it. The yarn felted up fast. The version took three and three-quarter skeins of yarn. Next time, I'm making it taller and making the handles longer. The pattern calls for decreasing the handles every four rows. I'm going to try decreasing every six rows. Also, the pattern calls for knitting the body for eight inches. I'm going for more. The plan on the next one is the bottom is being knit from black. When I get to the end of the increasing the circle for the bottom, I'm switching over the the lovely purple yarn I bought. I'm going to knit the sides for three and a half skeins. I'll let you know how many inches that is. At least twelve (instead of the 8 called for in the pattern).
Don't get me wrong, I do like my bag. I have some coordinating buttons to sew on and I need to find a jazzy lining. Maybe I can get to a fabric store this weekend. Unfortunately ( or fortunately) my transcript business has picked up and that really cuts into my knitting time. But I'm not complaining. It's going to buy me a new pair of recliners. The early Salvation Army look in my living room is out the door!