Thursday, March 22, 2007

Odds and Ends

First for the non-knitting content. We have a new addition to our living room. Sorry about the crappy photo. It's a print that I picked out at Michaels and framed in a black poster frame. I love it. The content is some of my favorite -- view from a beach cottage looking out on the ocean. The colors go very well with our decor (early Salvation Army) of beige and blue. And I used my Gorilla Hooks to put it up! (Move over Billy Mays.) The hook thing really worked just the way the TV ad says.




Next on the knitting front -- I've been knitting up a storm. I've got three active projects. (Bad girl, bad girl) Anyhow, the first photo is Falling Leaves from Knitty Fall 2005. I probably started knitting these early in 2006 and they have languished on the needles for just about a year. (I finished this one up this evening -- I still have it's mate to do. Finished photo of the pair when completed.) Of course, I didn't follow the pattern -- it's supposed to be knit toe up. I have no real aversion to knitting sock toe up. My problem is I have fat legs. And there's just no cast off that I can make to fit my leg without the top of the socks looking ruffly. I'm going to try again because I bought Queen Kahuna's book, Crazy Toes and Heels. The book is jammed packed with tons of information. Frankly, overpacked in my opinion. It's going to take some concentration. You can't really see in the photo, but I finished the Falling Leaves sock off in the magic loop method, using a 47" size 1 Addis Turbo. It works, but I can't see any real advantage over five double points. You still have to move the stitches around and get the yarn straight. It works and I'll use it again.



I haven't quit working on the socks for DH. I've switched over to using two circular needles. Another method. It works fine too. Might be a small bit less fiddly than the magic loop method, just in a different way. I'm almost the heel flap on this one. (The mate is just waiting for it's completion.)

I also have one Cascading Leaves (in a lovely pumpkin color) from Jeannie Townsend's Yahoo group done and need to make it's mate. Too much Second Sock Syndrome going on here. (Photo later.)




Now, for the puzzle project of the week. I just LOVE my Fiber Trends Felted Clogs. I know that I've made at least a dozen pairs. When I'm home, they're on my feet. But I'm always open to something new. I ran across the Curiously Clever Clogs at Stitch Diva.


Hey, they're curiously clever all right. As you can see from the photo, they don't look anything like clogs. It's kind of complex from the point of view that every row is different, they use three different colors of yarn (They are supposed to have beads on the top - mine don't.) And I have to REALLY, REALLY concentrate on them. Now, I'm not going to pass final judgement until I have both completed and felted. Maybe it's worth it in the end. The pattern is well written with lots of info, but I'll have to let you know how it all ends.


Who knows, maybe I'll actually get my Landscape Bag felted, too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the picture on your mantel. It's perfect! Looks like all your projects are coming along well.

MarDi said...

I meant to comment on this post yesterday, after I'd commented on the later one...but I was sidetracked!

I love the print, makes me think of Cape Cod. I love the beach too, coming from Boston where we always lived very close to the ocean. I'm a beach bum from way back! LOL

The new clog pattern looks interesting! I clicked on your link to the pattern, and I must say that I think the beads are a bit too much - simpler is better.

Hope you've had a good weekend!