Sunday, January 20, 2008

Knitting progress to report

I received the Selbuvotter mitten/glove knitting book for Christmas. What wonderful patterns! I'm making mittens with Lion's Brand Fisherman's Wool and Buffalo wool (also a Christmas gift). As I have pretty big hands, I usually knit mittens for myself with worsted weight and a size 6 needle. The cuff is done and I'm ready to start the pattern.















Another project that I've been working on is socks for DH. The yarn is Opal Saphir, which is a worsted weight sock yarn. The heel is Knit Picks Essential held double. This is making very nice, heavy, man-sized socks. I knit them toe up, with the Queen Kahuna cast on (which is very clever and a great way to start toe up), the heels is done short rowed (my new favorite way to do heels) using the Pricilla Gibson-Roberts method. The rib is a k3, p2 which is very stretchy. And I used the Elizabeth Zimmermann sewn cast off for the top. It makes a nice formula for toe up socks.


Otherwise, we're all hunkered down. It's 9 degrees and dropping. New England beat San Diego and the Green Bay game is just coming on. Time for more knitting.

No comments: